Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sick kitties

It has been a very stressful week around my house. I have tons of people here daily weatherizing my home. In and out, in and out, up to the attic, down to the basement. On top of that, I've had a very sick kitten to care for.

I thought I could actually take a day for myself over the weekend. But I came home to find a little baby completely clogged up! This hit from nowhere. After antibiotics to stave off anything that she could catch from a weakened immune system, forced pedialyte, sub q fluids and lots of nutri-cal, she finally started drinking a little water and eating a little can food on her own. She's still weak and sleeps a lot. Her mom, Turtle, has been by her side and that does make her feel better. But today, Turtle started throwing up and feels slightly warm. So I've had to separate them in case Turtle caught the virus from the kitten. I don't want Turtle passing it back to the kitten. Or any of the other 3 kittens that Turtle allows to nurse from her.

I am on high alert in the event this 'bug' spreads. I pray that it doesn't. I am leaving in a week for a mini vacation. My plans can't be changed. I would feel horrible and not enjoy a minute of being gone if I left with anyone sick or potentially sick.

So right now, I'm feeding everyone lots of nutritious foods including chicken and fish. Tonight they got mac & cheese mixed with people tuna! I am already low on food & litter. So I'm asking for any help that can be given. I got lucky that the kitten to get this bug was a little fatty. So her not eating solid food for two days only made her a bit thinner. I have 5 others who were thin when I rescued them (that's why they were going to be PTS, because they were 'thin').

Sneezes can spread a virus very quickly. Having holding cages will not prevent this from spreading unless the cages are far apart or in different areas. Which is why I only use them for taming the feral or if a cat doesn't like other cats/kittens. I have everyone spread out, in different rooms. So say a prayer for these babies. And if you can help me make sure over the next few weeks that they get highly nutritious food (and a way for them to get rid of their food 'litter', lol), it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I see that you are from North Carolina. I have started a social network for pet owners, and it just so happens that a lot of our registered members are from Charlotte and Greensboro, NC. It may be beneficial for you to make a profile for your blog and/or a personal account. That way you can blog, post events, post listings and send personal messages to members. We are still fairly new; however we already have many pet professionals!

    We would also love for you to blog about information that could benefit our cat owners!!!
    Here's the link if you decide to join: http://www.petbytes.org/

    I wish you all of the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you searching for pets supplies? Petflow offers free shipping over $49, and/or flat rates shipping of $4.95 under you are scheduled deliveries, tons of premium/high quality brands plus awesome consumer service. You can have information on these pets supplies by visiting the companies’ official website on www.petflow.com . Your pets require high quality food products if you want them to visit your nearest vet on uncommon occasions exactly where as they also require quality brands of items they use on every day basis. By purchasing high quality products for your pet, it's 1 way of showing just how much love you hold for these pet and therefore your pet will usually acknowledge you as the care its loving care giver.

    ReplyDelete