Sunday, December 4, 2011

Price of caring for foster cats/kittens

I know people see me on facebook pushing this blog and/or a chip in. You'll notice the chip in to the right states it is for food, litter, medical for the month of December.

That's right. I have 16 fostering right now and it takes about $250-$275 per month in just food/litter. Add in I've had to give my own personal stock of medicine for a panleuk/giardia outbreak, and you can see I am in a little pickle here.

It use to be fairly easy to get in contributions and I took in as many cats/kittens as I had space for in my home. Even to the point of putting my own cats outside and building them a new place to live so I could care for more rescues.

As the holidays have approached, I know people want to spend money on gifts for their family members and friends. They have traveling to do. But please, during the this holiday season, think just a moment of those less fortunate 4 legged babies that for right now, may be warm & cozy, but may be short on food and toiletries (litter!). Or those who need medicine.

I do chip ins because I want to be open and honest about the contributions I am sent. I want people to see "she has $100 of the $275 she needs". And if you feel like making a contribution through the mail, I have my address to the right also. And yes, if you would like to come and see the foster babies I have, you are more than welcome to come see them. I ask that you please contact me first via email. I'm all about adopting these babies out but I'm not going to let a perfect stranger in my house!

I've even had people 'drive by' my house just to see where I live. Yes, there are those who want to 'see' the place these babies are living. And that's just fine too.

Please, if you can give this holiday season and beyond, it will be most appreciated. Below is a copy of the receipts from just a week and a half's worth of what they require. So you can see I am in desperate need.


2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Barbara and i was wondering if you have talked to Walmart and have asked them for broken bags and dented can of catfood. If you have a tax number to give them they may help you out in the food department. I am just trying to help. I have a lot of cats most are feral but fixed we still feed and care for them and Our Walmart here helps us. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, actually I spoke with my local Wal-Mart today. The manager said the corporate office already has it set up where torn bags get sent to the local Humane Society. I asked if I brought in a tax I.D. would they allow me to pick it up and the manager said he doubted it would do any good.

    ReplyDelete